Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It is easy being green

I have to disagree with Kermit the Frog on this one.

In about 45 seconds I was able to remove my name from the credit reporting indutry lists (Equifaz, Experian, Innovis and Transunion). These are the people who are ultimately responsible for you getting credit card offers in the mail every other day. Whenever I get them I just rip them in half without opening them and toss them in the trash and I always think to myself "What a waste of paper." Well I finally figured out that if you go to optoutprescreen.com you can fill in your name and address (they ask you for your ssn and birthday too but I didn't give it to them) and click a button and you are removed from the list for 5 years! If you take the little bit of extra time to mail in a signed confirmation you can be removed for life. I opted to go for the 5 year plan becuase I am too lazy and cheap to mail in something, and it is no burden for me to take 45 seconds every 5 years to remove my name from the list. Also if you prefer you can call 1888 567 8688 and accomplish the same thing.

Next step...remove my name from the marketing lists that send the other junk mail (Penny Saver, random coupons etc.). This one requires a signed request to be removed along with your name and address sent to,

Mail Preference Service
c/o Direct Marketing Association
P.O. Box 643
Carmel NY 10512

It takes a little bit of extra effort to mail it off and shell out the dough for the stamp (aren't they like a buck and a quarter each now?) but I will do it if you will do it. Together we can rid this world of junk mail and maybe even save a few trees along the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Tim...it's great to run into you again...if not in person, online. What have you been up to? Still in min? How's the wife?