Thursday, October 19, 2006

Beatles Song of the Week 5.0 and 6.0


So today you get a two for one, or really last week's song and this week's song together.

This is a special edition of BSOTW, because this weekend my bride and I will be seeing the Cirque Du Soleil performance of Love in Sin City! I have to say that the only way I would ever go to a Cirque show would be if it was themed around Beatles music because, quite frankly, European acrobats scare me. In all honesty I am a little apprehensive about the whole thing because there is just something about circus-type performances that rub me the wrong way. There is a reason that the words "circus" and "freak" seem to go together so well. Who knows, maybe I will have a different opinion after the show. However, the fact that the theater was built specifically with this show in mind and that George Martin, the Beatles producer, was involved on the musical side of things, makes me very excited to see it.

Anyway, with all that in mind, my Beatles songs of the week are Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight. If you are familiar with Abbey Road then you know that these two songs blend in together and essentially form one beautiful piece of music.

I love the lyric from Golden Slumbers:

Golden slumbers fill your eyes
Smiles await you when you rise
Sleep pretty darling, do not cry
and I will sing a lullaby

These are words of comfort and reassurance. Singing lullaby's reminds me of my grandparents, who would sing to my brother and I when we would stay over at their house.

Golden Slumbers then leads into Carry That Weight, which in turn harkens back to You Never Give Me Your Money, creating a musical inclusio for the last run of songs on Abbey Road. Now here is a big if, but imagine if Lennon was never killed and somehow, someway the Beatles decided to do a reuinion tour, or even just one more live performance. And imagine they played live that run of songs from You Never Give Me Your Money to The End.

Sometimes I think about what it would have been like to see the Beatles live, without European acrobats.

No comments: