Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sufjan Stevens at the Wiltern


Monday night my bride and I and two of our friends went to the Wiltern in Los Angeles to see Sufjan Stevens in conert. I literally haven't been the same since. Music really does have the power to change people, and Sufjan's music is very powerful. I'm still deciding if it was the best concert I have ever been to or not, but the fact that I can't decide doesn't mean I think it wasn't as good as it could have been, it just means I have been to a lot of concerts. That makes it hard to choose the best one.

They say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." That phrase is usually quoted to state that there is no objective way to measure beauty. But at the concert on Monday there was this tangible sense of beauty. I mean it was real. You could not only hear it but you could feel it, touch it. And I got the sense that I wasn't the only one beholding it, that everyone in the room was feeling as beautiful as I was. Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but does beauty from time to time take on a form that becomes so overwhelming that everyone has no choice but to behold it?

These are the words that come to my mind when I try to describe the Sufjan Stevens concert.

A couple of my favorite performances from the night...
The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out to Get Us
The Dress Looks Nice on You
He Woke Me Up Again

No comments: