Tuesday, October 17, 2006

When bands die

It has been too long since I last posted. I still owe you, the faithful reader, a Beatles song for last week and it is coming time to declare one for this week as well. My lack of attention to this blog is not due to apathy but rather just plain ol' busyness. I have a lot of reading for school, which even though it is now 11:43 pm, I should be doing instead of blogging. Man it feels good to be a slacker student again. I will do Carl Jung, who said "Hurry is not of the devil, hurry is the devil", one better by saying "Busy is the devil." I think the two go hand in hand.

Anyway the occasion for my writing is that I have found out that a very good band has broken up. Acceptance, which released an album entitled Phantoms last year, broke up in August, after their lead singer decided to leave the band and get a "real job." Why am I only now finding out about this? Well, because they announced the break up in a blog on their Myspace, and you already know how I feel about that place (if you don't check out the archives!). Myspace has become the source of information distribution for many artists, which I understand because they are "connected" to the fans so easily through their page, but folks like me, who don't have their own Space get left out, because bands are neglecting their standard websites to maintain their Myspace. I'm not kidding. Go to their website. It makes it seem like Phantoms is just now coming out.

So, knowing this, and being tired of wondering when the next Acceptance record was going to come out, I finally checked their Space yesterday and found out the bad news. I wonder what a reasonable mourning process is when a band dies. I really like music, so is it ok for me to be sad about this? I mean truly sad? I really was looking forward to another record from them and now all I have is Phantoms, which will now have this "Man this record is good but I wish I had another Acceptance record" stigma attached to it. I feel the same way with "Till we Have Faces" by Noise Ratchet. There needs to be another Noise Ratchet record after that but no, that's all we get.

Oh well I can always listen to the Beatles. Which reminds me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Foosball is the devil. The Waterboy's mother told me so!