Monday, November 06, 2006

Beatles Song of The Week 7.0


I let the bride pick this week's selection and she chose Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the song of the week. This is the first song on the album by the same name, which by the way, was the album for me that started my Beatles love affair. I still remember in high school hanging out at my friend Mike's house playing basketball in his driveway listening to music. It sounds funny, but during those times at Mike's, my relationship with music went from casual interest to intense fan. For whatever reason, Nirvana, the Grateful Dead and of course The Beatles stand out as three bands I can remember listening to in Mike's garage in between games, and specifically I remember that fateful day when our mutual friend Dylan brought over an album called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I was immediately struck by the album's cover and then while listening, the diversity of musical genres that existed on the same record was something I had never encountered before. It is brilliant, and to this day it is a record that all other pop/rock records aspire to.

Good choice Bride.

No comments: