Thursday, November 16, 2006

Beatles Song of the Week 8.0, 9.0 and 10.0


I'm not sure how far I am behind in this category and I am too lazy to go through and figure it out but I think I am at least two weeks behind and probably three so here you go.

For this week I pick Run For Your Life. This is a song of pure jealousy and rage because a guy suspects his "girl" of cheating on him and of course in early Beatles fashion it is singable and poppy which kind of masks the jealousy.

The chorus goes like this...

You better run for your life if you can, little girl
Hide your head in the sand little girl
Catch you with another man
That's the end little girl


and then one of the verses says...

Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead


Don't try to read into this selection at all. I am not jealous of anything or anyone, I just think the song is good.

For last week I will select She's a Woman.

I am selecting this to offset any chance that you think I selected the previous song because the bride is giving boys the eye.

She don't give the boys the eye,
She hates to see me cry,
She is happy just to hear me say
That I will never leave her.
She don't give the boys the eye,
She will never make me jealous,
Gives me all her time as well as lovin',
Don't ask me why.

She's a woman who understands.
She's a woman who loves her man.

That one is more autobiographical for me than Run For Your Life.

And finally I will select Till There Was You, a cover of the song from The Music Man. The Beatles actually played this when they performed for the Queen and a recording of that performance can be heard on The Beatles Anthology 1 disc 2. Good song from a good play.

No comments: