Friday, November 10, 2006

One Bank



Where do I even start? I mean this is just absolutely...(searching for the right word)... awkward?! hideous?! painful?! awkpaineous?! There it is! This video is awkpaineous!

3 questions come to mind.

#1 How long do you think they practiced this before their performance? My guess is there was at least 4 to 5 power lunches spent writing lyrics and maybe another 2 or 3 late night office jam sessions where they loosened the ties, rolled up the sleeves and let the good times roll.

#2 Why is no one in the audience laughing? How long can you hold it in? I mean that "What's in your wallet? It's not Capital One." line alone was enough to make me pee my pants. This song is the definition of unintentional comedy, and if the audience can't appreciate that when it's happening then it's their loss. Most likely they were all sitting there in complete shock and horror, hoping that this wouldn't find it's way onto youtube so they could avoid questions and comments from friends and family like, "Hey weren't you away at that Bank of America and MBNA merger celebration last weekend? Don't lie! I know you were because you asked me to feed your cats. One Bank man. One Bank." and "Those guys were good! It will only be a matter of time before they are playing at The Department of the Treasury!"

#3 How does a song like One get picked to represent the merger of two banks who are, by the rendition's own admition, in it for the profits. Maybe it's just me but I would have gone with a cover of Chain Hang Low by Jibbs.

No comments: