Thursday, December 21, 2006

The next great American movie

I have signed up for this screenwriting lab from the Brehm Center at Fuller which I am pretty excited about. I mailed the form yesterday and then last night before I went to sleep I was thinking about my screenplay which will involve a young novelist who writes a bestseller that Hollywood wants to make into a movie. He reluctantly agrees but once he gets into the process he struggles with the director and producers portrayal of his story. The characters and story that he creates get mangled in the hands of Hollywood (lots of potential tongue in cheek h-wood bashing references ie. Lindsay Lohan gets cast as the female lead which of course infuriates the writer etc.) and so he decides to pull the plug. But it is too late because of the contract he signed so he gets released as a "creative consultant" and they bring in Quentin Tarentino instead and the movie slowly starts morphing into some ode to Martial Arts and Blacksploitation films from the 60's and 70's and soon scarcely resembles the original book.

I don't know, something along those lines.

Or I could dust off an old idea that my friend Joe and I had in college called Damn It, which is about a clown who can't find any work because of the movie/book It and so he plots to kill Stephen King. A dark comedy.

Check your local listings in a few years.

No comments: