Sunday, January 28, 2007

Super Poll

One of my most frequented web stops is espn.com. I am a huge sports fan and their website gives me everything I need to stay up to speed on all my favorite teams.

On their main page they have poll questions that change every couple days. Currently the question is "Should Super Bowl Sunday be a national holiday?" If you vote, then a color-coded map of the nation pops up showing you the poll-results state by state. I voted "no" and thought for sure that I would be in the majority. I was wrong.

At the time of this post, 23,652 people had submitted their response and 59% of the people who responded thought that Super Bowl Sunday should be a national holiday. Are you kidding me?

Arkansas was the only "red" state, having 52% of their 104 responses saying that it shouldn't be a national holiday. Minnesotas 624 respondents were split 50-50 making it a gray state (although doesn't blue and red make purple?).

This baffles me. I think the Super Bowl is one of the most overrated events in pop culture. It is bloated and vacuous and overhyped, just like Prince. Hey, maybe Prince should play halfti...wait...nevermind.

No comments: