Thursday, September 14, 2006

Beatles song of the week




A new feature here at Creative Apathy... Beatles song of the week! I pick a Beatles song every week and then let you know which one I picked. How cool is that?

By the way, for those of you who didn't already know, the Beatles are my favorite band.

So for the first ever Beatles song of the week selection I choose (drum roll)...Happiness is a Warm Gun. (and the crowd goes wild!)

Happiness is a Warm Gun can be found on disc 1 of the White Album. Part of why I love the Beatles so much is because they were almost like 4 bands in one. When the inner strife started to take it's toll on the band, they began writing and even recording more and more individually. For example the song before Happiness is a Warm Gun on the White Album is While My Guitar Gently Weeps, a distinctively George song. I don't even really think of this song as a Beatles song, I think of it as a George Harrison song that he let The Beatles put their name on. Then Happiness is a Warm Gun is a distinctively John song. It has a darker tone and just feels like John Lennon. Then after Happiness is the distinctively Paul song, Martha My Dear. The song sounds like a show tune with strings, horns, and even the piano at the beginning setting the melody. Ringo's turn doesn't come until 5 songs later on Don't Pass Me By, which like other Beatles songs that Ringo sang lead on (Yellow Submarine, Octopus's Garden etc.) tends to be a little annoying after repeated listens.

Unfortunatley I can't give you a link to itunes so you can download the song or the album and hear it because there isn't any Beatles music on itunes. Just do yourself a favor and buy The White Album and any other Beatles albums you don't own yet. Tune in next week for Beatles Song of the Week version 2.0!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Who are The Beatles"

-Catherine Zeta-Jones-